Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Dell Sucks, But Swanblog Don't

So I spend 3 freaking hours installing software, updating virus protection, deleting all the crap programs that come with new computers, humming along great with my computer on the internet, about to upload my first new spiffy chart on good Ol' Cappy Cap and then, BLAMO!!!

Computer freezes.

Then, after spending another 2 hours with people from Bangalore I finally get to somebody with enough tech experience and not such a heavy subcontinent accent to tell me that the computer is hosed.

So in the meantime, whilst Captain Capitalism is like Popeye without spinach and is chartless, I figured I'd make a long overdue plug to somebody who's been helping me out recently;

Swanblog.

Local guy, known him since college, and he has a forte that I am lacking experience and knowledge in; law.

Not that all of his post are about law, he's been known to post about whales recently. Don't think I've ever posted about whales.

Regardless pay young Swanson a visit.

1 comment:

Captain Capitalism said...

Well one, based on the hell you have to go through through their phone/customer oppression line, and then the heavy accent of the Indians, then, frankly, just the time spent dealing with this, AND the time it took to deliver the damn thing, I'd say go to Best Buy and get yourself a computer. It's not worth the $40.

Technically what I did was transfer all the old files from my old computer to the new one. I then installed MS Office. This was enough for me to operate.

Went online, updated the windows update, updated anti-virus, had the blog open in one window, the e-mail in another, an Media player playing, then

BLAMO!!!!

Nothing.

Tried rebooting, got the error code 0x000000ED on a blue screen.

TRied to reboot from safe mode.

Same error.

Did the Cntrl F11 to reset the computer to what it was before I did all this work on it.

Would freeze up.

Tried it again.

same thing.

The moral of the story is ladies and gentlemen, is if you make anything more than $20 an hour, it will not be worth your time to buy a Dell, save you time, money and sanity, and just buy something else from a local retailer.