Monday, May 05, 2008

Choosing the Path of Least Resistance When It Comes to Women

The Captain is not married, however he is courting a very beautiful dame that he loves dearly.

However, though not married, he has come to some of the same realizations that married men no doubt have and thus, instead of keeping quiet about it (which married men do because they sadistically want to see you to go through the rigamarole they had to) he has opted instead to tell you about it.

The Babe asked your beloved Captain if he wanted an apple.

Now I have nothing against apples, I like apples, but at that particular point in time, I did not want an apple. Thusly I said, "no, I don't want an apple."

However, you must realize the original question was not a question. It was a command. Oh sure, she phrased it as a question. The tones she used suggested it was a question. But it was no question. It was a declarative statement. It was a direct order. A direct order, I did not follow.

"Well why don't you want the apple?"

Kind of perplexed I said, "well I just don't want an apple right now."

"But apples are good for you."

And then I realized what was going on. She WANTED me to have an apple. If she seriously just was curious if I wanted an apple, she would have stopped the interrogation when I said, "no, I don't want an apple." But she kept up with the line of inquiry, which I should have noticed, whereby I should have accepted defeat and just said, "yes, I want the apple." But no, I had to choose the path of most resistance.

Now what you will learn about choosing the path of most resistance is that you are guaranteed to spend more effort and energy fighting for your personal preferences than you would have, had you just capitulated and ate the damn apple. And I know what you're thinking, "If I don't want an apple, then it is my constitutional right to not have an apple." But you are NOT thinking because what married men will tell you is that it's not worth it. Just eat the damn apple. And not only eat the damn apple, but when she asks you say, "yes, I would love an apple."

Now this gets back to what my father had told me and I should have followed;

"When she's happy, you're happy."

I don't claim to know what women want. But I do know that if you love your woman just try to make her happy. And if it means doing something as menial as eating an apple you don't have a particular appetite for, or taking out the garbage or putting away the dishes in a particular way that makes absolutely no logical sense, then just do it. Not just because you love her, but because it's just easier to choose the path of least resistance.

No comments: